Knowledge-Centered Service (KCS®), formerly called Knowledge Centered Support, is a methodology to integrate knowledge creation and maintenance into your day-to-day processes.
KCS becomes the way people solve problems and creates knowledge as a by-product of problem solving.
- Integrate the reuse, improvement, and creation of knowledge into the problem solving process.
- Evolve content based on demand and usage.
- Develop a knowledge base of collective experience to date.
- Reward learning, collaboration, sharing, and improving.
My Favorite KCS Concepts
- Knowledge Is User-Centric. Information becomes knowledge when it is actionable, which means it is demand-driven. Customers are the catalyst for information becoming knowledge. – so frame information from their perspective.
- Collective Ownership. Knowledge ownership applies to all who use the knowledge, therefore, knowledge workers and users are part-owners of the content.
- Continuous Improvement. Double loop learning means that solving problems creates knowledge, and evaluating the knowledge helps it evolve.
Get Trained & Certified
KCS v6 Fundamentals Certification – Entry-level understanding of the methodology across groups of knowledge workers.
KCS v6 Practices Certification – A more thorough understanding of KCS methodology and adoption.
LinkedIn Group for KCS
KCS v6 Fundamentals Certification Study Guide *Start here and read “KCS Principles and Core Concepts” for free, to see if the concepts interest you*
Image Credit: Knowledge Centered Service (KCS) by MindTouch
KCS® is a service mark of the Consortium for Service Innovation™.
Erik RyanMarch 23, 2017 at 4:04 pm
Hey Sara, great site here! Obviously the KCS post caught my eye. Keep up the solid work or else!
Sara FMarch 23, 2017 at 5:18 pm
Hey there – You’re my first (non-spam) comment! Pretty exciting accomplishment on both sides, I think 🙂
Glad you liked the post/site. It’s a little bit past prime time to start blogging, but we’ll see what happens with it.